A favorite and healthy lunch we frequently make during the week is what we call our “produce drawer” salad. The ingredients we use are the vegetables we usually have stocked in our produce drawer, making it not only an easy and healthy lunch option but a convenient one, too! In order to make it a more nutritious and filling lunch, we highly recommend adding avocados and a serving of protein for extra nutrients. This salad base recipe is extremely versatile and forgiving, so feel free to substitute our ingredients with vegetables you already have in your drawer to make this convenient for you!
- 10 sautéed medium spears of Asparagus
- 4 stalks of chopped Celery
- 2 Cups of shaved Brussel Sprouts
- 1 Cup chopped Broccoli
- 1 Cup of shredded Lettuce
- 1 Cup chopped Green Beans
- 1/2 cup chopped Arugula
- 1/2 cup chopped Spinach
- 1/2 cup of shredded cabbage – when possible, we prefer using red cabbage
- 1/8 cup of water
- 10-15 sautéed medium-size Cherry Tomatoes
- 6-8 sautéed Baby Bella mushrooms
- Coconut Oil or Avocado Oil
- Aged White Wine Vinegar
- Pistachios for garnish
- Bosica Pear (or any other in-season fruit) *optional
- Crumbled Goat Cheese or Crumbled plant-based cheese *optional
- Mix broccoli, cabbage, and brussel sprouts in a large mixing bowl. Once mixed, add a splash of aged white wine vinegar (we use Colavita’s aged white wine vinegar). Let the salad mixture sit and set aside for later.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add tomatoes and mushrooms. Sautee the tomatoes and mushrooms together until tomatoes begin to blister and mushrooms begin to brown. Add water to prevent the bottom of tomatoes and mushrooms from burning. Turn down heat to medium-low and let sit until water has completely evaporated. Take the pan off the heat and set tomatoes and mushrooms aside for later.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add trimmed asparagus and sautee for 3-4 minutes, add lemon juice, salt, and season to taste. Cook for another 3-4 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Once cooked, remove from heat, set aside, and let cool.
- Add arugula, celery, green beans, lettuce, and spinach to the large mixing bowl containing the broccoli, cabbage, and brussel sprouts. Toss well. Once fully tossed, add the salad mixture to a plate and add the desired amount of tomatoes, mushrooms, and asparagus on top of the salad.
- *optional* If desired, feel free to add protein and avocados at this step to make your salad more filling.
- Top salad with pear, goat cheese, and pistachios.
Enjoy your lunch!